Friday, January 21, 2005

My own teary-eyed encounter

So this is how this site started...from my long-winded report on TORn about meeting Daniel at ORC in LA:

Afterwards, Arevanye and I talked with Daniel Falconer of WETA. What a talented, kind and gentle person. I was sharing with him how we had all talked here about the kind of fate that brought all of this incredible talent together on the films. I said, “As soon as I saw the first shots of the Shire in FoTR, I knew it was all going to be perfect and it was as if you guys just reached inside my imagination and threw it all up on the screen,” and then I just began to weep. It was such an unexpected and emotional response. Having him there, someone who was partly responsible for those images, to be able to thank him in person was just such a relief and a joy. Well, I just lost it.

I told him how they were really the first books I had read on my own as a teenager and that world was so burned in my memory and then there it was in full color in a movie theatre! He was so sweet and after witnessing my outburst, he said, “Oh, let me hug you!” And he did. And it was a very good hug. And if he doesn’t have an official site and fan club, well I might just start one. Then I apologized profusely for losing it and he said that he loved to hear these kinds of stories because it lets them know their work was on the mark (paraphrased). Then I babbled on about wishing I had worn waterproof mascara and he was, again, very kind.

# # #

So that's how it started. Half as a joke, half as a thanks for his kindness and immense talent. I'm not a wild, crazed, psycho fan-girl. I suppose, by definition, you could call me a "groupie," but it's really not about that whole teenage crush thing. Not to mention, he's over there and I'm waaaaay over here...lol. I do have a relatively good grip on reality. He's just one of the many "good guys" involved in LoTR and it was a pleasure to meet him. This is just my way of saying, "Thanks, Daniel!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home